The Resource Conrad Speece writings, volume 1, 1816 Nov. 7
- Conrad Speece writings, volume 1, 1816 Nov. 7
- Title number
- volume 1
- Inclusive dates
- 1816 Nov. 7
- This volume is a compilation of writings, prose, and verse by Rev. Conrad Speece (1776-1836) and others, arranged chronologically by date of composition or delivery, on moral, philosophical, and religious topics. The volume also contains a preface, 7 November 1816, written by Speece
- Biographical or historical data
- Conrad Speece was born in New London, Virginia, on 7 November 1776. He died in Staunton on 15 February 1836. He attended Liberty Hall (afterward Washington College), and studied divinity, and while a tutor in Hampden Sidney College in 1799 became a Baptist preacher, but was licensed in 1801 by the Presbytery of Hanover. He was appointed to missionary work, with occasional pastoral charges, in eastern Virginia and Maryland and in the Valley west of the Blue Ridge untill 1813, when he became pastor of Augusta Stone Church, near Staunton, Virginia. He spent the remaining twenty-two years of his life preaching there, and was among the eminent preachers of the day, and of great influence in his denomination. He was also noted for his benefactions, and especially for his strenuous efforts to promote temperance reform. He received the degree of D. D. from Princeton in 1820. He published " The Mountaineer," a volume of essays written in 1813-1816 after the manner of "The Spectator," single sermons (1810-1832); and hymns, the most important of which is "The Cross of Christ."
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Conrad Speece writings, volume 1, 1816 Nov. 7
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Conrad Speece writings, volume 1, 1816 Nov. 7
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UGFaViLcwtI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UGFaViLcwtI/">Conrad Speece writings, volume 1, 1816 Nov. 7</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...