The Resource Powhatan County (Va.) Ministers' Returns Register, 1820-1850
- Powhatan County (Va.) Ministers' Returns Register, 1820-1850
- Inclusive dates
- Ministers' returns -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Powhatan County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Powhatan County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Registers (lists) -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Christian sects -- Virginia | Powhatan County
- Powhatan County (Va.) Ministers' Returns Register, 1820-1850, was a volume used by the county clerk in the mid-nineteenth century to record the returns made by individual ministers of marriages performed within the county. The majority of returns were in the form of lists which record the date of marriage and names of both parties. In the process of preparing and sending the returns, the name of the minister and the minister's denomination were often included
- Biographical or historical data
- Powhatan County was formed from Cumberland County in 1777, and part of Chesterfield County was added on 16 March 1850. The county was named for the paramount chief of the Powhatan Indians in the tidewater of Virginia in the late sixteenth and early years of the seventeenth century.
- Until 1780, marriages could be performed only by ministers of the Established Church, who were required by law to record marriages in the parish register. In 1780, dissenting ministers (only four per county from each sect) were first permitted to perform marriage ceremonies. In order to have a record of all marriages, ministers were required to sign a certificate to be filed with the county clerk. Initially, ministers sent marriage certificates to the clerk every three months. Some ministers adopted a custom of making collected returns--a list of marriages performed within a period of time such as a year or several years. Beginning in 1784, marriage certificates were returned annually. The law was rarely enforced, and ministers' returns were sometimes late, incorrect, incomplete, and in many instances, not made at all. County clerks compiled a register of marriages based, in part, on ministers' returns.
- The original ministers' returns, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- This volume is found at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours.
- Additional Powhatan Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Powhatan County (Va.) Ministers' Returns Register, 1820-1850
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Powhatan County (Va.) Ministers' Returns Register, 1820-1850
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UHzPovmRwnM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UHzPovmRwnM/">Powhatan County (Va.) Ministers' Returns Register, 1820-1850</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...