The Resource Transylvania papers, 1776 May 18 (laid before the Convention)
- Transylvania papers, 1776 May 18 (laid before the Convention)
- Inclusive dates
- 1776 May 18 (laid before the Convention)
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- State government records
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Kentucky
- Elections -- Virginia -- 18th century
- Harrodsburg (Ky.) -- History
- Transylvania Colony
- Letters (correspondence)
- Kentucky -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia, (1776 : May 6-July 5)
- Transylvania Company
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Contains various papers in support of the petition of the inhabitants of Transylvania asking for relief from the claim to their lands by Richard Henderson and his Transylvania Company (petition is not included). Includes a contract & agreement between Henderson and the other proprietors of Transylvania and the Convention (1775 May 27); an appointment of judges of the Inferior Court of Record within the Boiling Spring Settlement (1775 June 5); a call for the election of delegates from Harrsodsburg to the Convention by Henderson, et al., proprietors of Transylvania Colony (1775 Dec. 1); an advertisement for the Transylvania Company (1775 Dec. 1); a printed advertisement regarding the dispute over land titles by the proprietors of Transylvania (1776 June 26); and a letter from John Williams, Agent for the Transyvania Company, to the inhabitants in and about Harrodsburg (undated)
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 618.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
ContextContext of Transylvania papers, 1776 May 18 (laid before the Convention)
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Transylvania papers, 1776 May 18 (laid before the Convention)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UUPyzfYEZn8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UUPyzfYEZn8/">Transylvania papers, 1776 May 18 (laid before the Convention)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...