The Resource !UNKNOWN LABEL
- !UNKNOWN LABEL
- Hunting -- Virginia
- Boats and boating -- Virginia
- Game and game-birds -- Virginia
- Dogs -- Laws and legislation | Virginia
- Game laws -- Virginia
- Wildlife research -- Virginia
- Fisheries -- Virginia
- Game protection -- Virginia
- State government records -- Virginia
- Wildlife management -- Virginia
- Wildlife conservation -- Virginia
- Fishing -- Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries provides public, informational and educational services regarding game and freshwater fish, and is responsible for the administration and enforcement of all rules and regulations created by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, which is the policy-making entity responsible for conserving, protecting, replenishing, propagating and increasing the supply of game birds, game animals, fish and other wildlife in the Commonwealth. The department is authorized to create regulations, that in turn must be adopted by the board; prescribe hunting and fishing seasons and limits; hire game wardens who have the authority to enforce criminal laws; provide courses of instruction in hunter safety, conservation and sportsmanship; promulgate regulations; license sport fishing, hunting, trapping, preserves, fur farming and dealing, hunting dog trials, fisheries, and other activities related to wildlife; and make safety regulations for the operation of boats and title and register motorboats.
- The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries was created by an act of the General Assembly passed March 11, 1916. The department was headed by the Commissioner of Fisheries and was charged with enforcing all laws enacted for the protection, propagation, and preservation of wild animals and birds, and fish in all inland waterways, and assisting in enforcing all dog and forestry laws. As part of his duties, the commissioner appointed county and city game wardens, fostered wildlife conservation, promoted educational programs, published and disseminated laws and regulations, served process for legal violations, and printed license forms. Hunting and fishing licenses were to be obtained from the county clerk of the circuit court and the fees collected put into the newly created Game Protection Fund. The monies in this fund were used to pay the salaries and expenses of the commissioner and wardens and for the study, propogation, preservation and restocking of game animals, birds and fish in the Commonwealth.
- An act of the General Assembly passed March 24, 1926 created a Commission of Game and Inland Fisheries. The commission consisted of five members appointed by the governor and the chairman of the commission was to serve as the administrative head of the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries, replacing the Commissioner of Fisheries. The commissioner still appointed game wardens, subject to the approval of the commission.
- In 1928, the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries was officially renamed the Commission of Game and Inland Fisheries. An act passed April 3, 1942, placed the Commission of Game and Inland Fisheries under the Department of Conservation and Development and the number of commission members was increased from five to nine. In addition to this, the chairman of the commission was no longer to serve as administrative head, as the act provided for an executive director to be appointed by the commission.
- An act of the General Assembly passed March 11, 1987 renamed the Commission the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Agency history
ContextContext of !UNKNOWN LABEL
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work !UNKNOWN LABEL
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UnsG7MYUJ0E/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UnsG7MYUJ0E/">!UNKNOWN LABEL</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...