The Resource Virginia Capitol Building, 1858.
- Virginia Capitol Building, 1858.
- Inclusive dates
- Virginia -- Capital and capitol | Designs and plans
- Richmond (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc
- Architectural drawings -- Virginia | Richmond
- Virginia State Capitol (Richmond, Va.)
- Architecture -- Virginia | Richmond -- 18th century
- Lybrock, Albert, 1827-1886
- Architecture -- Virginia | Richmond -- 19th century
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Public buildings. -- Virginia
- This group of drawings represents two different versions of the Capitol: the existing conditions of the building in 1858, and a proposal for modifications. The changes proposed by Lybrock would have added a bay to the rear of the building, replaced the existing steps on the sides of the Capitol with a single flight of steps to the portico, and made minor modifications to the interior. The proposal was never carried out. More importantly, Lybrock's measured drawings of the Capitol as it existed in 1858 remain among the best documentation of the structure in the period before the extensive remodeling in 1904-1906
- Biographical or historical data
- Albert Lybrock was born in 1827 in St. Johann, Rhein-Provinz, Germany, and immigrated to the United States in 1848. He established an independent architectural practice in Richmond by 1855. Among his more important commissions were the Ballard Hotel (1855), James Monroe Tomb (1858), State Bank Building (1874), and the Beth Ahaba Synagogue (1880).
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Virginia Capitol Building, 1858.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Virginia Capitol Building, 1858.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Uq049-itglc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Uq049-itglc/">Virginia Capitol Building, 1858.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...