Report of the committee to whom the petition of inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred, 1775 July 27The Resource Report of the committee to whom the petition of inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred, 1775 July 27
- Report of the committee to whom the petition of inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred, 1775 July 27
- Inclusive dates
- 1775 July 27
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- State government records
- Virginia, (1775 : July 17-Aug. 26)
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- Stephen, Adam, 1718-1791
- Resolutions -- Virginia
- Berkeley County (W. Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Elections. -- Virginia | Berkeley County
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Contains a report of the Committee to whom the petition of Inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred. According to the report, Col. Adam Stephen appointed a day for the election of delegates and ordered a general muster of the militia on the same day as the election. Includes a resolution for a new election of delegates in Berkeley County
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 616.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
ContextContext of Report of the committee to whom the petition of inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred, 1775 July 27
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Report of the committee to whom the petition of inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred, 1775 July 27
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UruaFSPkV0g/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UruaFSPkV0g/">Report of the committee to whom the petition of inhabitants of Berkeley County was referred, 1775 July 27</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...