The Resource Virginia State Library [Electrical plans], 1939.
- Virginia State Library [Electrical plans], 1939.
- Inclusive dates
- Architecture -- Virginia | Richmond -- 20th century
- Carneal, Johnston, & Wright (Richmond, Va.)
- Blueprints -- Virginia | Richmond
- Richmond (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc
- Architects -- Virginia
- Virginia State Library
- Githens, Alfred M
- Baskervill & Son (Richmond, Va.)
- Diazoprints -- Virginia | Richmond
- Architectural drawings. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Public buildings -- Virginia | Richmond
- Keally, Francis
- Library buildings -- Virginia | Richmond -- Designs and plans
- These drawings depict the conduits, panels, and other electrical equipment for the Virginia State Library and Supreme Court of Appeals building. Also included are two pages of architectural plans showing logitudinal sections of the building
- Carneal, Johnston & Wright, in association with Baskervill & Son and Alfred M. Githens and Francis Keally, received the commission for the building which was erected 1939-1940 on a site between Richmond's Capitol Square and Broad Street. The building housed the Supreme Court of Virginia 1940-1981 and the Virginia State Library and Archives (now the Library of Virginia) from 1940 to 1999
- Biographical or historical data
- The General Assembly created the State Library Building Commission in 1936 (Acts, 1936, Chapter 242, pp. 393-394) and directed it to ascertain and report the cost of a building to house the State Library, the Supreme Court of Appeals, the State Law Library, and the Attorney General; to have prepared plans and specifications for the building; and enter into negotiations with the City of Richmond to procure the site known as Ford's Lot for the erection of said building. After a review process, the committee chose the firm of Carneal, Johnston, & Wright, in association with Baskervill & Son and Alfred M. Githens and Francis Keally, to undertake the commission. Considerable debate took place in statewide newspapers over the erection of the building and the chosen site, Ford's Lot.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Library of Virginia, Office of the State Librarian (LVA barcode 1054517).
- Virginia State Library. Office of the State Librarian. Building records, 1935-1941. (LVA Accession 38904).
ContextContext of Virginia State Library [Electrical plans], 1939.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Virginia State Library [Electrical plans], 1939.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UsupFtcz_ac/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/UsupFtcz_ac/">Virginia State Library [Electrical plans], 1939.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...