The Resource 1866-1890
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1866-1890, of the Gordon family of Orange County and Richmond, Virginia, principally consisting of correspondence exchanged between Gordon family members and John Newton Gordon and his son James Gordon, Richmond, Virginia, merchants. This correspondence chiefly pertains to family matters. Notable correspondents are Edward Clifford Gordon and James A. Waddell. There is also some correspondence exchanged between merchants and customers and John and James Gordon concerning their mercantile business, specifically shipments, payments, debts, purchases, and sales
- Biographical or historical data
- John Newton Gordon was born 15 February 1793 in Orange County, Virginia, the son of Nathaniel and Mary Gordon. He married Louisiana Coleman on 13 March 1823 and died on 2 October 1870. For twenty years before his death, John N. Gordon was a partner with his oldest son James in a successful mercantile firm in Richmond, Virginia. James Gordon was born 18 March 1826 and died 15 October 1895. He married Mary St. Clair Cooke (1838-ca. 1900), daughter of William Dewey Cooke and Lucy Ann Waddell, on 26 Nov 1856 in Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1866-1890
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1866-1890
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Uygjsk8lD6Y/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Uygjsk8lD6Y/">1866-1890</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...