The Resource 1803 November 27
- 1803 November 27
- Inclusive dates
- 1803 November 27
- Title variation
- Executive Communications
- Contains a letter from John Taylor, Washington, to [Edmund Harrison], Speaker of the House of Delegates, declining his nomination as Senator of the United States
- Additional physical form
- Also available on microfilm
- Biographical or historical data
- John Taylor was born December 1753 to James Taylor (d. 1759) and Ann Taylor. After his father's death, his mother sent Taylor to live with his uncle Edmund Pendleton (1721-1803), a prominent Virginia politician. Pendleton saw to his nephew's education which included attending the College of William and Mary. Taylor studied law under Pendleton and was admitted to the Caroline bar in 1774. When the Revolution began, Taylor served as quartermaster for the 2nd Virginia Regiment, then the Continental Congress appointed him judge advocate for all Continental troops in Virginia. Congress then appointed him a major in the 2nd Canadian Regiment, but tired of not seeing active duty, then the perceived incompetence of his commanding officer, Taylor resigned his commission 10 February 1779. Elected to the House of Delegates, Taylor served from 1779 to 1785 (excepting 1782) and 1796 to 1800. In 1789, he retired from the practice of law to pursue his agricultural interests. Three times he was elected to the United States Senate to finish unexpired terms in 1792, 1803, and 1822. Elected to a full term in 1793, he resigned in 1794. Taylor chose not to seek reelection in 1803, and was elected to a full term in 1823 and served until his death. He married Lucy Penn (d. 1831) of North Carolina in 1782 and they had eight children. Taylor, a noted author on agriculture and politics, died in Caroline County 21 August 1824.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1803 November 27
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1803 November 27
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/V20vGq73EmA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/V20vGq73EmA/">1803 November 27</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...