The Resource 1847-1848
- Inclusive dates
- Iron foundries -- Virginia
- Lunenburg County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Slaves -- Virginia
- Groceries -- Virginia
- Dry-goods -- Virginia
- African Americans -- Employment -- Virginia
- Account books -- Virginia
- African Americans -- Virginia
- Business records -- Virginia | Lunenburg County
- Unidentified Iron Furnace Negro Book, 1847-1848, is an account book that records purchases at the ironmaster's store made by slaves who worked at the iron foundry. Slaves who performed work beyond their required tasks were compensated in cash or in goods from the ironmaster's store. Each entry is made under the name of the slave and records the goods purchased, the money owed or paid, or if paid in labor what labor was done. Examples of goods purchased include sugar, clothing, shoes, tobacco, cloth, molasses, etc. Examples of extra work performed by slaves for payment of goods include stocking coal, wheeling dust, cording wood, stripping wood, working on Sunday and holidays. The account book includes and index listing names in alphabetical order and page number where their accounts can be found
- Account book also includes lists that record clothing furnished slaves who worked the iron furnace. Information found in lists includes name of slave and type of clothes he or she received (pants, coats, shoes, hats)
- Biographical or historical data
- The account book was maintained by Washington F. Plunkett, an ironmaster who lived in Appomattox County. The iron furnace where the slaves worked may have been Stonewall Furnace located in Appomattox County.
- Lunenburg County was named for George II, duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, a German possession of the Hanoverian kings of England. It was formed from Brunswick County in 1745.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Unidentified Iron Furnace Negro Book
ContextContext of 1847-1848
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1847-1848
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VGfJb7lQN0w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VGfJb7lQN0w/">1847-1848</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...