The Resource Rockbridge County (Va.) Wills, 1813-1913
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Wills, 1813-1913
- Inclusive dates
- Rockbridge County (Va.)
- Slaves -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Wills -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Slaveholders -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History
- Local government records -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- African American -- History
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Wills, 1813-1913, record the deceased's plan for how his or her estate was to be divided among his or her heirs following his or her death. Information commonly recorded in wills include the name of the deceased, also referred as the testator; names of heirs; a listing of real and personal property (including slaves) and how it was to be divided among the heirs; names of individuals who were to be the will's executors; the date will was written; and the date will was recorded at the court house
- Biographical or historical data
- Rockbridge County was named for Natural Bridge, an exceptional rock formation located in the county. The county was formed from Augusta and Botetourt counties in 1778, and another part of Botetourt was added later.
- Individuals dying with a written will died testate. After the death of an individual, his or her will was brought into court, where two of the subscribing witnesses swore that the document was genuine. After the will was proved, the executor was bonded to carry out his or her duties to settle the estate. The court then ordered the will to be recorded.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Rockbridge County Court Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Rockbridge County (Va.) Wills, 1813-1913
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Rockbridge County (Va.) Wills, 1813-1913
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VYDyoPoQQAM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VYDyoPoQQAM/">Rockbridge County (Va.) Wills, 1813-1913</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...