The Resource 1813-1975
- Inclusive dates
- Records, 1813-1975, of Grace Evangelical Church in Winchester, Virginia, previously known before 1877 as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Winchester, Virginia. Includes church council minute books, 1813-1944; marriage registers, 1949-1975; Women's Missionary Society minute book, 1928-1930; Young People's Society minute books, 1886-ca. 1930; Women's Auxiliary minute books, 1926-1945; and a Sunday School librarian's attendance and book check-out register, 1871-1873
- Minute book, January 1813-16 July 1872. This volume has the minutes of the church elders, the church council and the congregation. It also contains a copy of the church rules and regulations. At the back of the volume, there is a partial subject index. (Miscellaneous reel 175)
- Minute book, 29 July 1872-1 July 1912. Within this volume are the minutes of the church council and the congregation including treasurer's and Sunday School annual reports, 1877-1912. There is also a copy of the church council's order of business, n. d. (Miscellaneous reel 175)
- Minute books, 5 August 1912-30 December 1934 and 7 January 1935-30 December 1944. Two volumes that contain the minutes of the church council and the congregation including treasurer's and Sunday School annual reports, 1912-1944. There is also a copy of a congregational report, 1934, submitted to the United Lutheran Church in America. The later minute book includes a table of contents at the front of the volume. (Miscellaneous reel 176)
- Marriage registers, 1949-1975. Two volumes that contain the married couple's names, ages, residences, as well as their marriage license numbers and the place of ceremony. (Miscellaneous reel 177)
- Women's Missionary Society minute book, 1928-1930. Contains a membership attendance roster and minutes for the society from 1928-1930. (Miscellaneous reel 177)
- Librarian's Sunday School register, 1871-1873. Contains Sunday School officer's names, class rolls and dates books were checked out by individual students (lists book by number, not name or author). (Miscellaneous reel 177)
- Young People's Society minute books, 1886-1926 and n.d. Includes minutes of the society from 11 June 1886-1888; 9 October 1902-28 May 1908; and 15 April 1915-20 May 1926; and one volume with no date. Also contains copies of the society's constitution and annual membership and attendance lists. (Miscellaneous reels 177-178)
- Women's Auxiliary minute books, 1926-1945. Three volumes contain the minutes of the organization for 17 June 1926-19 January 1933; 5 January 1939-1942; and February 1942-August 1945. Also includes copies of the organization's constitution and annual membership and attendance rolls. (Miscellaneous reel 178)
- Biographical or historical data
- After receiving a grant from Lord Fairfax dated May 15, 1753, German Lutherans first built a log schoolhouse, which also served as their house of worship. It was not until 16 April 1764, that the cornerstone for a stone church was laid and buildings were erected on what is now the Mt. Hebron Cemetery. Both the schoolhouse and the original stone church were destroyed by fire. The present location on Boscawen Street was secured in 1840 and a new church building was constructed in 1842. The congregation was known simply as Evangelical Lutheran Church of Winchester until they adopted the name Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1877. The church is still extant and vital in Winchester.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Language note
- In English and German
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals, which are owned by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, are located in Handley Regional Library in Winchester, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1813-1975
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1813-1975
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VcoTiYsk0Kw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VcoTiYsk0Kw/">1813-1975</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...