The Resource 1779-1795
- Inclusive dates
- Commissions, 1779-1795, of Francis Cowherd (1753-1833) of Orange County, Virginia, consisting of a commission, 22 November 1779, for Cowherd as lieutenant in the 2nd Virginia Regiment, Army of the United States, from Samuel Huntington (1731-1796), President of Congress and also signed by Benjamin Stoddert (1751-1813), Secretary of the Board of War; a commission, 1 April 1785, for Cowherd as major, Orange County militia from Governor Patrick Henry (1736-1799); a commission, 5 February 1794, for Cowherd as agent for collecting arrears of taxes and duties within the first brigade district consisting of Orange, Culpeper, Spotsylvania, and Caroline Counties, Virginia, from Governor Henry Lee (1756-1818); and a commission, 17 November 1795, for Cowherd as coroner of Orange County from Governor Robert Brooke (1751-1800)
- Biographical or historical data
- Francis Cowherd was born 9 January 1753 in Orange County, Virginia, to Jonathan Coward (1727-1806) and Sarah Frances Cowherd (1733-1817). He served as a sergeant at the battle of Point Pleasant. During the American Revolution, Cowherd was commissioned a lieutenant in the 2nd Virginia Regiment in the Continental army, and eventually was promoted to captain. He, along with much of the 2nd Virginia, was captured at Charleston, South Carolina, 12 May 1780, and was exchanged in June 1781. Cowherd returned to the army and served until the end of the war. After the Revolution, Cowherd was commissioned a major in the Orange County, Virginia, militia; was appointed an agent to collect back taxes; and was appointed coroner of Orange County. He also served as a justice and a sheriff for the county. Cowherd married Lucy Scott (1763-1847) 13 August 1787, and they had 9 children. He died at Oak Hill, Orange County on 25 March 1833.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of other archival material
- Francis Cowherd, Deed, 19 August 1784 (LVA Acc. 20463)
- Francis Cowherd, Certificate of Exchange, 27 February 1781 (LVA Acc. 20464)
- Francis Cowherd, Commission, 22 November 1779 (LVA Acc. 20749)
- Francis Cowherd, Papers, 1781-1829 (LVA. Acc. 20764)
ContextContext of 1779-1795
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1779-1795
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VdvHWTMYmnI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VdvHWTMYmnI/">1779-1795</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...