The Resource Elizabeth River District records, 1789
- Elizabeth River District records, 1789
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Officers of State Government - Naval Officers
- This series contains the following records: Book of Invoices, 3 March 1789-29 July 1789, 1 vol.; Book of Inward Entries, 1 March 1789-31 July 1789, 1 vol.; Book of Outward Entries, 1 March, 1789-31 July 1789, 1 vol
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- During the colonial period the governor appointed customs officials (naval officers) directly, but this practice ended following independence. During its session begun in October 1776, the General Assembly passed an act creating eight customs districts and providing for the election of naval officers to serve in each district. The governor issued commissions to the naval officers following their election by the General Assembly. Each officer was assisted by one or more assistants, called searchers, who registered vessels as they arrived in port, examined and described their cargoes, and noted to whom the goods were consigned. Searchers also registered goods being imported overland; most goods, whether imported by land or sea, came from other states. The naval officers and their assistants also were responsible for registering goods to be exported. The collection of customs by individual states ended in 1790, when the government of the United States assumed that function.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 302
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Elizabeth River District records, 1789
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Elizabeth River District records, 1789
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VowQuWu8tYc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VowQuWu8tYc/">Elizabeth River District records, 1789</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...