The Resource General Assembly records regarding English bondholders, 1872-1887
- General Assembly records regarding English bondholders, 1872-1887
- Inclusive dates
- Contains correspondence, memorandums and financial documents pertaining to English bondholders and Virginia public debt. Some of the material is addressed to the chairmen of the Finance Committees of the House of Delegates and Senate or to the "Joint Committee." Most of the correspondence was written on behalf of English bondholders by Right Hon. Sir Edward Thornton and Mr. S. N. Braithwaite, both of the Council of Foreign Bondholders
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia General Assembly. (Search author as Virginia General Assembly).
- Biographical or historical data
- The aftermath of the Civil War found Virginia's economy in shambles. In an attempt to regain economic stability, the Commonwealth sold bonds to foreign investors. The Council of Foreign Bondholders, later called the Corporation of Foreign Bondholders (CFB) was an association of British investors that held bonds issued by foreign governments, including the Commonwealth of Virginia. The CFB fostered coordination among creditors and worked to arrange debt restructurings. In 1887, with outstanding bonds still unpaid, the General Assembly authorized the joint committees on finance to confer with representatives of the English bondholders in order to reach a settlement of the debt.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of General Assembly records regarding English bondholders, 1872-1887
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work General Assembly records regarding English bondholders, 1872-1887
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VrDiZT2fsS8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/VrDiZT2fsS8/">General Assembly records regarding English bondholders, 1872-1887</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...