The Resource Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles
- Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles
- Biographical or historical data
- On March 17, 1906, the General Assembly passed an act of giving the secretary of the commonwealth responsibility for motor vehicle registration and the issuance of drivers' licenses. The office of commissioner of motor vehicles was created by an act of the General Assembly passed on March 4, 1924, and assumed the duties concerning motor vehicles earlier undertaken by the secretary of the commonwealth, including the enforcement of motor vehicle laws.
- The Division of Motor Vehicles was created within the Department of Taxation by the state government reorganization act passed on April 18, 1927. The General Assembly passed an act on March 26, 1932, that consolidated all existing motor vehicle laws and placed the Division of Motor Vehicles under the Department of Finance (which existed only on paper). The division yielded its law enforcement duties to the Department of State Police when that agency was created on March 14, 1942. The reorganization of state government authorized by the General Assembly on March 30, 1948, established the Division of Motor Vehicles as an independent state agency.
- The division was placed under the secretary of transportation and public safety on April 8, 1972. The General Assembly created separate secretariats for transportation and for public safety on April 12, 1976, and placed the division under the secretary of transportation. Effective July 1, 1984, the secretariats of transportation and public safety again were combined.
- The Division of Motor Vehicles exercises authority over motor vehicle registration as well as the licensing of motor vehicle operators. The division also licenses motor vehicle dealers, collects taxes on gasoline and other fuels, and promotes motor vehicle safety.
- Departments that function under the administration of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles are the Bureau of Registration and Title Records, Contracts and Real Estate Administration, Fiscal Affairs, Management Information Systems, and Physical Plant.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/W-OONTPeTNA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/W-OONTPeTNA/">Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...