The Resource 1862-1864
- Inclusive dates
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care
- Medicine -- Practice -- Confederate States of America
- Bolton, James, 1812-1869
- Physicians. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Business records -- Virginia | Richmond
- Medical daybook, 24 October 1862-2 January 1864, of James Bolton (1812-1869), a Richmond, Virginia, doctor serving as a surgeon in the Confederate army, consisting of a daily record of patients seen, both private and military, often including rank, age, or address. Other sections of the book include more detailed notes of surgery and other treatments, a record of stimulants administered, vaccination procedures and records, and some medicinal preparations
- Biographical or historical data
- Dr. James Bolton (1812-1869) practiced medicine and surgery in Richmond, Virginia, where he operated a private hospital named "Bellevue" and located on Grace Street between 4th and 5th Street from 1855 to 1866. Active in local, state, and national medical associations, Bolton served as treasurer of the Medical Society of Virginia for several years and president in 1867. He published a medical book in 1842, edited a medical journal in 1854, and contributed essays to medical journals. During the Civil War, Bolton served both in the field at the Battles of Manassas and Spotsylvania (accompanied by his wife, Anna Maria Harrison Bolton) and at Richmond as a surgeon in the Confederate Army in charge of officers in private quarters. He joined General Robert E. Lee's personal staff when the Confederates evacuated Richmond and stayed with Lee until he surrendered at Appomattox Court House. Bolton resumed his medical practice in Richmond after the war, residing on Grace Street.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Medical daybook
ContextContext of 1862-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1862-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/W2jLARoYIx8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/W2jLARoYIx8/">1862-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...