The Resource Certificate of membership in the Societe de Cadets, Virginia Military Institute, n.d
- Certificate of membership in the Societe de Cadets, Virginia Military Institute, n.d
- Inclusive dates
- Certificate of membership to William D. Stuart (1830-1863) in the Societe of Cadets at the Virginia Military Institute. The certificate is in French and contains a lithograph of the Virginia Military Institute, made by G. & W. Endicott, Lithographers, New York. The Societe of Cadets was a literary society formed in the winter of 1839-1840 to encourage public speaking, reading, and writing
- Biographical or historical data
- William Dabney Stuart was born in Staunton, Virginia on 30 September 1830 to Thomas Jefferson and Martha M. Dabney Stuart. He entered the Virginia Military Institute in 1847 and graduated third in his class in 1850. From 1850-1853, he was assistant professor of mathematics and instructor of tactics at the Virginia Military Institute. In 1853, he became the headmater for a large classical school in Washington D.C., where he met his future wife, Frances Harris of Loudoun County. He returned to Virginia in 1855 taking a position as headmaster of a classical school in Richmond.
- When the Civil War erupted, Stuart was appointed a first lieutenant in the Virginia Provisional Army, and shortly thereafter, a Lieutenant Colonel of the 15th Virginia Regiment. In September 1861, he was elected to lead the 56th Virginia Regiment, with whom he distinguished himself at the Battle of Sharpsburg (or Antietam). Stuart was mortally wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg and died three weeks later in Staunton on 29 July 1863.
- Cataloging source
- Language note
- In French
ContextContext of Certificate of membership in the Societe de Cadets, Virginia Military Institute, n.d
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Certificate of membership in the Societe de Cadets, Virginia Military Institute, n.d
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/WKPa6tZlOqU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/WKPa6tZlOqU/">Certificate of membership in the Societe de Cadets, Virginia Military Institute, n.d</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...