The Resource Free negro and slave records, 1838-1900
- Free negro and slave records, 1838-1900
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | Henry County
- Slavery -- Virginia | Henry County -- Emancipation
- Tax records -- Virginia | Henry County
- Slave records -- Virginia
- Slavery -- Law and legislation -- Virginia | Henry County
- African Americans -- Employment -- Virginia | Henry County
- African Americans -- Statistics, Vital
- Census records -- Virginia | Henry County
- African Americans -- Virginia
- Court records -- Virginia | Henry County
- African Americans -- Economic conditions
- Freedmen -- Virginia | Henry County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Henry County
- This accession consists of public records relating to slaves and free negroes in the antebellum period and African Americans in the postwar period. The records are divided into the following series: Miscellaneous slave material, 1838-1855; lists of free negroes and certificates, 1842-1851, 1855-1860; drafting of slaves and free negroes, 1862-1865; public records relating to blacks, 1867-1900; public records relating to slaves, 1858-1866
- For record describing the history of Henry County and its court system, search a/Henry County (Va.). Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- County records were kept dealing specifically with free negroes, including certificates describing individuals and lists containing family groupings, ages, occupations, and residence. Information on slaves and blacks after the war is found in routine record sources.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Free negro and slave records, 1838-1900
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Free negro and slave records, 1838-1900
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XPJXJw4FTmg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XPJXJw4FTmg/">Free negro and slave records, 1838-1900</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...