The Resource 1800 December 5
- 1800 December 5
- Inclusive dates
- 1800 December 5
- Title variation
- Executive Communications
- Letter from Governor James Monroe, Richmond, to [Larkin Smith], Speaker of the House of Delegates, regarding Gabriel's Insurrection. According to Monroe, he received intelligence by Mosby Sheppard on 30 August regarding a proposed insurrection by two slaves in the neighborhood of Thomas H. Prosser. The Governor provides details on the precautions taken such as posting guards at the Penitentiary, Capitol, and Magazine in Richmond. He also writes that twenty conspirators were taken from Thomas Prosser's and the neighboring estates and put on trial. Monroe relates that five conspirators were executed on 12 September and another five on 15 September, while Gabriel was apprehended on 27 September at Norfolk. The Governor encloses copies of documents related to the insurrection including Sheppard's correspondence from 30 August. Also included is a letter from William Mosby, dated 10 November, and communications & evidence regarding the conspirators
- Forms part of the General Assembly, House of Delegates, Speaker, Executive communications collection.
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia General Assembly, House of Delegates, Speaker. (Search Virginia General Assembly House of Delegates as author).
- Additional physical form
- Also available on microfilm
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Form designation
- Letters, communications, and evidence
ContextContext of 1800 December 5
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1800 December 5
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XQN49W6Se0o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XQN49W6Se0o/">1800 December 5</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...