The Resource Amherst County (Va.) Superior Court of Law Records, 1807-1831
- Amherst County (Va.) Superior Court of Law Records, 1807-1831
- Inclusive dates
- Amherst County (Va.) Superior Court of Law Records, 1807-1831, are comprised of 1 Docket Book, 2 Fee Books, 2 Issue Dockets, 1 Memorandum Book, 1 Minute Book and 1 volume of Office Judgments
- After the end of any court rule, if required notice had been given and the defendant failed to appear, judgments by default and nonsuits were signed by the clerk in his office, as of the preceding court. Office judgments were final in actions of debt, and the defendant was obligated to pay the amount of the debt, interest on the amount of the debt, and court costs. The term is sometimes used in reference to the clerk's recovery of court costs
- Biographical or historical data
- Amherst County was formed from Albemarle County in 1761. Islands in the Fluvanna (now the James) River were added in 1770. The county is named for Major General Jeffery Amherst, British commander in North America during the later part of the French and Indian War and governor of Virginia from 1759-1768.
- The Superior Courts of Law were officially created in 1808. These courts replaced the old district courts. The Circuit Superior Courts of Law and Chancery, established in 1831, replaced these courts.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Amherst County Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Amherst County (Va.) Superior Court of Law Records, 1807-1831
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Amherst County (Va.) Superior Court of Law Records, 1807-1831
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XS0_-nVYRHI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XS0_-nVYRHI/">Amherst County (Va.) Superior Court of Law Records, 1807-1831</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...