The Resource Minute book, 1808-1809
- Minute book, 1808-1809
- Inclusive dates
- Contains minutes from Virginia Council of State meetings. Included on this reel are minutes from 1809 January 23 - 1809 July 3, and partial pages from December 1808
- Biographical or historical data
- The Council of State was established by the constitution adopted on June 29, 1776, to assist the governor in the administration of the government. It had its origin in the earlier Council of colonial Virginia, but was a more powerful check on the authority of the governor. The council members were elected by the General Assembly rather than appointed by the governor as had been the case with the colonial Council. By the middle of the nineteenth century, however, the need for a stronger chief executive had become evident. The new constitution adopted in 1851 made no provision for an advisory council, and on January 15, 1852, the Council of state adjourned for the last time.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Minute book, 1808-1809
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Minute book, 1808-1809
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XeFvWhIKArI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XeFvWhIKArI/">Minute book, 1808-1809</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...