The Resource Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Economic Development
- Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Economic Development
- Biographical or historical data
- The Department of Economic Development traces its beginnings to the Commission on Conservation and Development, created by an act of the General Assembly on March 17, 1926. The responsibility for planning and assisting Virginia's industrial development was carried out by an administrative division within the Commission, which evolved into department status by 1948. Subsequently, the Division of Industrial Development and Planning was established by the General Assembly March 30, 1962, under the supervision and direction of the Governor.
- In 1966, the planning function was transferred to the newly-created Division of State Planning and Community Affairs, which developed a master plan for the state. This division became the Department of Planning and Budget in 1976. The Division of Industrial Development continued with its function of offering assistance in the development of industries within the state under the Secretary of Commerce and Resources.
- In September, 1984, the Division of Industrial Development and the Division of Tourism merged to created the Department of Economic Development, under the Secretary of Economic Development. The Department was tasked with creating new jobs for Virginians and increasing the tax base.
- In 1996 an act of the General Assembly split the Department of Economic Development into two newly created entities: the Virginia Economic Partnership (VEDP) and the Department of Business Assistance (DBA). VEDP would attract new business to Virginia; DBA would serve Virginia's existing business community and provide some services for business attraction. The Department of Business Administration added "Virginia" to its name in 2006, becoming VDBA.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Economic Development
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Economic Development
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XgUoIzdkCP0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XgUoIzdkCP0/">Agency history of the Virginia Dept. of Economic Development</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...