The Resource Lucy family papers, 1883-2005
- Lucy family papers, 1883-2005
- Inclusive dates
- Radio stations. -- Employees
- Old dominion barn dance (Radio program)
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Lucy, Calvin Herbert, 1863-1947
- Baltimore (Md.) -- History -- 20th century
- Personal papers
- Lucy family
- Singer Sewing Machine Company
- Lucy, Calvin T., (Calvin Tompkins), 1891-1980
- WRVA (Radio Station : Richmond, Va.)
- Lucy, Blanche Tompkins, 1868-1953
- Radio scripts
- Letters (correspondence)
- United States -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- Papers, 1883-2005, of the Lucy family of Baltimore, Maryland, and Richmond, Virginia, include personal letters, 1906-1923, received by Blanche Tompkins Lucy (1868-1953) and Calvin Herbert Lucy (1863-1947), and scattered professional correspondence of Calvin Lucy in his dealings with the Singer Sewing Machine Company, 1919-1925, and of son Calvin Tompkins Lucy (1891-1980) in his capacity as general manager of the radio station WRVA. Other WRVA-related materials include an undated script of an episode of "Four Deuces"; a notebook listing the staff of WRVA's parent company, Larus and Brother, 1918-1925, and of WRVA, 1925-1939; a page from C. T. Lucy's diary giving a brief history of the "Old Dominion Barn Dance" program; and booklets commemorating the station's 25th and 50th anniversaries. Other items of interest include an 1883 autograph book with inscriptions from high school classmates of Blanche Tompkins (Lucy). A handful of items pertaining to World War I include souvenir maps of the western front and the United States sector in the final days of the war, a song sheet, and a program from a 28 September 1918 Wise Brothers, Inc., event honoring the troops
- Biographical or historical data
- Calvin Herbert Lucy (1863-1947) was born on 10 May 1863, one of ten children of Joseph Baxter Lucy (1830-1894) and Lucy Ann Drake Lucy (1839-1888). On 10 June 1890, he married Blanche Brook Tompkins (1868-1953). The couple had four children, sons Calvin Tompkins (1891-1980), Allen Drake (1893-1967), Roy Baxter (1896-1969), and Luther Lee (1900-1975). Calvin T. Lucy married Kathleen S. Baseler (1895-1989) and with her had two children, Betty Melville (1921- ) and Calvin Tompkins, Jr. (1926- ). While working as an employee of Larus and Brother Company in 1925, Calvin T. Lucy, Sr., was assigned the task of setting up and running the WRVA radio station. Lucy initially served as general manager of the station, and continued to grow the venture until his retirement in 1961 as Vice President of Larus and Brother Company in charge of Radio/Television and President of Richmond TV Corporation.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- James Branch Cabell Library, Virginia Commonwealth University.
ContextContext of Lucy family papers, 1883-2005
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lucy family papers, 1883-2005
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XiQ2_jDJmMo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XiQ2_jDJmMo/">Lucy family papers, 1883-2005</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...