The Resource 1861
- Inclusive dates
- Harpers Ferry (W. Va.) -- History -- Civil War
- Diaries -- Virginia | Orange County
- Bull Run, 1st Battle of, Va., 1861
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Orange County
- Confederate States of America
- Newman, J. S., (James Stanley), 1836-1910
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Diary, 18 April-21 October 1861, of J. S. Newman (1836-1910) of the Gordonsville Grays and of Company C, 13th Virginia Infantry, describing soldiering and camp life in the first months of the Civil War. He discusses campaigning in the Shenandoah Valley in the days before the first battle of Manassas and the movements of his company and regiment from April to October. Includes a discription of the Manassas battlefield from October 1861
- Biographical or historical data
- James Stanley Newman was born in 1836. He attended the University of Virginia from 1856 to 1858 and later attended the Virginia Military Academy. A teacher in Orange County, Virginia, when the Civil War began, Newman enlisted in the Gordonsville Grays 17 April 1861. The Grays became Company C, 13th Virginia Infantry. He was promoted to sergeant 31 October 1861, but was demoted back to private by April 1862. Newman was sick on leave from March to June 1862. When he returned to his regiment, he transferred to Company A, 13th Virginia infantry. After the Civil War, Newman was a planter and a teacher. He was a professor at Clemson College in Clemson, South Carolina, and worked for the Georgia Department of Agriculture in Atlanta, Georgia. Newman was the author of SOUTHERN GARDENER'S PRACTICAL MANUAL and other agricultural bulletins. He died 10 May 1910 in Walhalla, South Carolina.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XjmL1G-V-7A/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XjmL1G-V-7A/">1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...