The Resource Central State Hospital records, 1864-1890
- Central State Hospital records, 1864-1890
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: of State Government - Institutions. State Mental Hospitals
- This series contains the following records: Bond, 1872, 1 item; Cash Accounts and Receipts, 1872-1883, 1 ft. 6 in.; Orders for Payment, 1864-1865, 3 items; Receipts for New Building Expenses, 1883-1885, 2 in.; Resolution to Draw on Auditor for Appropriated Funds, 1890, 1 item
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session in November 1769 the House of Burgesses passed an act establishing a hospital for the mentally ill. The Eastern Lunatic Asylum (now Eastern State Hospital) was the first institution in America constructed as a mental hospital. In 1825 Central Lunatic Asylum (now Western State Hospital) was established in Staunton. In 1870 a hospital for blacks was established near Richmond and called Central Lunatic Hospital; it was moved to Petersburg in 1882 and is now racially integrated and known as Central State Hospital. Many of the expenses of constructing and operating the hospital were paid by the state.
- Citation location within source
- entry no 127
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Central State Hospital records, 1864-1890
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Central State Hospital records, 1864-1890
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XltFhrYtFXY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XltFhrYtFXY/">Central State Hospital records, 1864-1890</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...