The Resource Nansemond County (Va.) Sheriff Records, 1840-1916
- Nansemond County (Va.) Sheriff Records, 1840-1916
- Inclusive dates
- Nansemond County (Va.) Sheriff Records, 1840-1916, contains a Sheriff's Execution Book, 1840-1842, and a Sheriff's Returns Book of Poll Tax Postings, 1904-1916
- Biographical or historical data
- Nansemond County was created as Upper Norfolk County by 1640 and in 1642 was renamed Nansemond County for the Nansemond Indians, who lived in the area in the early seventeenth century. The county seat was Suffolk. The county became the independent city of Nansemond on 1 July 1972, and on 1 January 1974 Nansemond merged with the city of Suffolk. The entire area is now known as Suffolk.
- Records were destroyed in three separate fires: the earliest consumed the house of the court clerk in April 1734 (where the records were kept at that time), the second was set by British troops in 1779, and the last occurred on 7 February 1866.
- Sheriffs appeared in Virginia when the original shires were formed in 1634. They originally had three functions: law enforcement, conduct of elections, and financial officer. The sheriff's duties have been curtailed over the years, but he is still the major law enforcing agent in a county.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Nansemond County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Nansemond County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Nansemond County (Va.) Sheriff Records, 1840-1916
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Nansemond County (Va.) Sheriff Records, 1840-1916
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XqiwEWBJFWI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XqiwEWBJFWI/">Nansemond County (Va.) Sheriff Records, 1840-1916</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...