The Resource Cash book for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1884
- Cash book for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1884
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Treasurer's Office. Special Funds: Lee Monument Association
- Volume records names of subscribers to the fund and the amounts subscribed from January 7 to April 19, 1884
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of the Treasury (Search Virginia Dept. of the Treasury as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- On October 17, 1870, five days after Robert E. Lee died, the Ladies Lee Monument Association organized in a Richmond parlor. On October 25 the Lee Monument Association formed. By an act of Assembly, January 14, 1871, the Lee Memorial Association incorporated and on January 25 an act incorporated the Lee Monument Association.
- The Association could raise money by subscription and contribution to acquire a plot of ground on which to erect a monument to Lee, and provide a final resting place for Lee's remains with the assent of members of his immediate family.
- In May 1886 $3,000 in prizes was offered for the best models by sculptors from America and abroad. In the summer of 1887 Jean Antonin Mercie, a French sculptor, was selected. Otway S. Allen gave land for the site at the end of Franklin Street which became the beginning of Monument Avenue. While masons laid the cornerstone on October 27, 1887, the equestrian statue did not arrive until May 4, 1890. On May 7 Richmond citizens pulled the twelve-ton statue, shipped in pieces, in wagons by ropes from the Broad Street railroad station to the site. General Joseph E. Johnston unveiled the statue on May 29, 1890.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 114
- Citation source
- Treasurer's Office Inventory
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Cash book for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1884
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cash book for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1884
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XroC0EEuSeU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XroC0EEuSeU/">Cash book for the Lee Monument Association as maintained by the Virginia Treasurer's Office, 1884</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...