The Resource Provision law and specific tax, : accounts, bonds and correspondence, 1779-1797
- Provision law and specific tax, : accounts, bonds and correspondence, 1779-1797
- Title remainder
- accounts, bonds and correspondence
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Specific Taxes
- The accounts contain the names of persons to whom payments were made, the amounts, and the dates paid. Each bond contains the signatures of the claimant and securities, the date, and the amount of the bond. Records cover the following dates: 1779-1790 and 1797
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928). (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in May 1780 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the governor to appoint a commissioner for each county to purchase or impress goods and services for military use. Receipts or certificates were given by the commissioners to persons whose property was impressed, and the certificates could be used for the payment of taxes. In October 1780 the provision law was renewed and amended to require the commissioners to be bonded on entering office.
- During its session begun in May 1779 the General Assembly passed an act for the defense of the commonwealth that placed a specific tax on every male above sixteen years old and every female slave above sixteen years. Bacon was added to the list of commodities with which the tax could be paid. The commissioners made returns of accounts to the county court and the governor, and sent the auditor a list of unpaid balances to be collected by the sheriff.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 640
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Provision law and specific tax, : accounts, bonds and correspondence, 1779-1797
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Provision law and specific tax, : accounts, bonds and correspondence, 1779-1797
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XwyHacymNKk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/XwyHacymNKk/">Provision law and specific tax, : accounts, bonds and correspondence, 1779-1797</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...