The Resource Eugene C. Massie scrapbooks, 1901-1909
- Eugene C. Massie scrapbooks, 1901-1909
- Inclusive dates
- Scrapbooks, 1901-1909, of Eugene C. Massie (1861-1924) of Richmond, Virginia, documenting his interest in land law reform, and his efforts to pass legislation in the General Assembly to adopt the Torrens system of land registration in Virginia
- There are two scrapbooks. They were disassembled for preservation purposes by the W. J. Barrow Restoration Shop, Virginia State Library, at an unknown date. There is an index to each scrapbook but, unfortunately, the original order of the scrapbooks was not retained when they were disassembled, making the indexes of minimal use
- Biographical or historical data
- Eugene Carter Massie was born in Orange County, Virginia on 27 May 1861. He was the son of Henry Massie and Susan Elizabeth Smith. Massie attended the University of Virginia from 1876 to 1883, and graduated with academic and law courses. Afterwards, he practiced law in Richmond with James Pleasants (d. 1898) in the firm Pleasants and Massie. Massie was chief of staff to Gov. Claude Swanson, served in the Virginia House of Delegates, and was a commissioner in chancery of the Chancery Court of Richmond. He was secretary of the Virginia State Bar Association for twenty years, and a member of the Commission on Uniform Laws of the American Bar Association. Massie married Laura Roy Ellerson on 16 November 1897. He died at his home in Richmond on 4 April 1924, and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Eugene C. Massie scrapbooks, 1901-1909
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Eugene C. Massie scrapbooks, 1901-1909
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Y6dqwpQFE0E/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Y6dqwpQFE0E/">Eugene C. Massie scrapbooks, 1901-1909</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...