The Resource 1919
- Inclusive dates
- Blackburn, John Francis, 1877-1931
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Virginia | Rockingham County
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Richmond
- Virginia -- History -- 20th century
- Soldiers. -- Virginia | Rockingham County
- Military records -- Virginia
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Letters (correspondence) -- Virginia
- Letters, 1919, from Jo Lane Stern, Adjutant General of Virginia, to the Clerk of the Rockingham County, Virginia, Circuit Court. Letters concern a roster and two supplemental rosters containing the names of Rockingham County men who had joined volunteer companies for service in World War I. The rosters are accession No. 19817
- Biographical or historical data
- Jo Lane Stern was born 23 December 1848 in Caroline County, Virginia, to Levi Stern (1821-1897) and Elizabeth Hall Stern (1825-1912). Stern enlisted in the Confederate army at age 14 and served as a telegrapher. After the Civil War ended, he enrolled in Washington College and graduated in 1869. Stern was admitted to the bar in 1870 and briefly practiced law in Caroline County before moving to Richmond, Virginia, where he continued his career as a lawyer. Stern enlisted in the Virginia National Guard in 1871 and remained in the Guard until his retirement in 1922. He served as acting Adjutant General of Virginia during the Spanish-American War and as Adjutant General of Virginia from 1918 to 1922. Stern died 3 May 1932 in Richmond, and was buried at the Stern family estate "Fontaine Hill" in Ruther Glen, Caroline County.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1919
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1919
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/YGXFZp6NzDg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/YGXFZp6NzDg/">1919</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...