The Resource Warren County (Va.) Board of Supervisors Records, 1871-1924
- Warren County (Va.) Board of Supervisors Records, 1871-1924
- Inclusive dates
- Local government Records -- Virginia | Warren County
- Roads. -- Maintenance and repair
- Roads. -- Contracts and specifications -- Virginia
- Warren County (Va.)
- Roads -- Design and construction
- Warren County (Va.) -- History
- Plats (maps) -- Virginia | Warren County
- Bridge -- Virginia | Warren County
- Roads. -- Virginia | Warren County
- Roads. -- Inspection
- Roads. -- Surveying
- Warren County (Va.) Board of Supervisors Records, 1871-1924, contains the Board of Road Commissioners' Minutes, Description of Roads in Front Royal District, Plats and Surverys of Roads, Road Contract Book, Road Warrants, Toll Books, and Warrant Book
- Biographical or historical data
- Warren County was named for Joseph Warren, the revolutionary patriot who sent Paul Revere and William Dawes on their famous rides and who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. The county was formed from Frederick and Shenandoah counties in 1836.
- The County Courts were responsible for the creation and maintenance of the road and bridges in their county. The Court accepted or rejected petitions to create new roads, alter existing roads, or to discontinue roads. They accepted or rejected petitions to build new bridges, replace old bridges, or make repair to existing bridges. The County Government paid for the creation, the alterations, the repairs or replacement of the roads and bridges.
- During the Colonial Period and to 1866, the people, owning or renting property on a road or their hands, were responsible for maintaining the road. The County Court appointed "Overseers of the Road" to supervise the work on the road. In an Act of Assembly Passed on February 28, 1866, a County Commission of the Road was appointed to make contracts with contractors to construct roads or bridges and to make the repairs to the roads or bridges. The county was allowed to collect specific levies to pay the contractors for their work.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Warren County Court Records can be found on microiflm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Warren County (Va.) Board of Supervisors Records, 1871-1924
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Warren County (Va.) Board of Supervisors Records, 1871-1924
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/YYWxaOMem8Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/YYWxaOMem8Q/">Warren County (Va.) Board of Supervisors Records, 1871-1924</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...