The Resource 1878-1886
- Inclusive dates
- Warren County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Daybooks -- Virginia | Warren County
- Consumer goods -- Virginia | Warren County
- General stores -- Virginia | Warren County
- Cashbooks -- Virginia | Warren County
- Barley, Beaty, and Company (Warren County, Va.)
- Barter -- Virginia | Warren County
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Warren County
- Dry-goods -- Virginia | Warren County
- Business records -- Virginia | Warren County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Business records, 1878-1886, of Barley, Beaty, and Company, a general store, consist of a cashbook, six daybooks and three ledgers
- Cashbook, May 1878-October 1881, records cash received and cash paid on an almost daily basis. It includes the names of individuals and accounts the business received cash from and paid cash to. Entries found in cashbook are listed in ledgers with corresponding date range
- Five daybooks and one journal record transactions as they occurred on a daily basis from 1878 to 1886. Information found in each entry includes name of customer, merchandise sold, and the amount owed. Merchandise sold include cologne, bacon, chickens, apples, dry-goods, spices, clothing, boots, and coal. Payments made by cash, credit, and barter such as eggs and butter. Page numbers found in entries correspond with page numbers found in ledgers of same date range. Daybooks are in poor condition
- Ledgers A, B, and C, 1878-1882, record the accounts of individual customers. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found in each entry includes date of transaction, style of transaction, form of payment, and the amount owed and paid. The ledgers do not list the names of items purchased, rather they use the general term, "merchandise." The ledgers also record the company's controlling accounts such as expense account, merchandise account, sewing machine account, and wool account. Page numbers found in entries correspond with page numbers found in daybooks or cashbook of same date range
- Biographical or historical data
- Barley, Beaty, and Company was a mercantile partnership formed by William H. Barley and Charles H. Beaty that sold general merchandise in Front Royal, Virginia. It began operations in May 1878 and continued until Barley's death in February 1881. Beaty was responsible for keeping the store's financial records.
- The volumes were used as exhibits in the chancery case Executor of William H. Barley versus Charles H. Beaty and others, heard in the Circuit Court of Warren County. Barley's executor was uncertain if Beaty had collected all the debts owed the partnership, a percentage of which would go to Barley's estate. The executor asked the court to intervene and require Beaty to produce all of Barley, Beaty, and Company's financial records in order to determine the amount of debt owed the partnership so that whatever was owed to Barley's estate could be collected.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Business Records
- Location of other archival material
- The Library of Virginia.
ContextContext of 1878-1886
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1878-1886
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Ygz5JJ9H_j8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/Ygz5JJ9H_j8/">1878-1886</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...