The Resource R. A. Brock diaries, 1861-1862
- R. A. Brock diaries, 1861-1862
- Inclusive dates
- Diaries, 26 April 1861 - 31 July 1862, of Robert Alonzo Brock (1839-1914), while he was serving with the 21st Virginia Infantry. There are two volumes. Topics covered include being stationed in Fredericksburg and in the Shenandoah Valley, weather observations, drills and dress parades, guard duty, skirmishes with the enemy, letters received and sent, movements of other units, and rumors of victories and defeats by the Confederate and Federal armies. Portions of the diaries are illegible. There are also numerous drawings by Brock in the first volume, including the tomb and the home of Mary Washington, mother of President George Washington, the regiment's camps in Fredericksburg and near Aquia Creek, and the encampment of forces under Gen. William Wing Loring in Greenbrier County, (West) Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- Robert Alonzo Brock, historian, antiquarian, and collector, was born in Richmond, Virginia in 1839. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 21st Virginia Infantry, transferring later to a hospital unit with which he remained for the duration of the war. Brock later served as associate editor of the Richmond Standard (1879-1882), corresponding secretary of the Virginia Historical Society (1875-1892), and secretary of the Southern Historical Society (1887-1914). He also edited the societies’ papers and authored the first biographical dictionary of Virginians (Virginia and Virginians). An avid collector of Virginiana, Brock started his collection before the Civil War and added materials up to the time of his death in 1914, accumulating nearly 50,000 manuscripts relating to Virginia and the history of the South.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of R. A. Brock diaries, 1861-1862
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work R. A. Brock diaries, 1861-1862
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZF7wN8K5JKU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZF7wN8K5JKU/">R. A. Brock diaries, 1861-1862</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...