The Resource 1955-1973
- Inclusive dates
- Includes project specifications, contracts, legal and financial documents, work progress photographs and aerial photographs. The bulk of the collections consists of work progress photographs
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Transportation. (Search Virginia Dept. of Transportation as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike Authority was established in 1955 to build the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike. The Authority was a small state agency created by the General Assembly, to administer (design, finance, acquire right-of-way, construct, operate, collect tolls, and maintain) the Turnpike. The Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike (RPT) cost $76.7 million (funded with proceeds from toll revenue bonds sold by the Commonwealth of Virginia) to build, and it ran for 34.7 miles from US-1 in Dinwiddie County to US-301 in Henrico County (from today's I-85 Exit 63 to I-95 Exit 82), it opened in its entirety on July 1, 1958; and soon after opening, the RPT was designated with the I-85 and I-95 designations, even though no federal aid was used to build the RPT, and it became part of the Interstate system. The 1973 General Assembly passed legislation to dissolve the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike Authority and transfers its duties, powers and obligations to the Virginia State Highway Commission (the predecessor of the current Commonwealth Transportation Board), so the Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation (today's VDOT) took over administration of the RPT in 1973.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Form designation
- Records and photographs
ContextContext of 1955-1973
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1955-1973
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZVUNy2_FMgA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZVUNy2_FMgA/">1955-1973</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...