The Resource Lancaster County (Va.) Deeds, 1656-1914
- Lancaster County (Va.) Deeds, 1656-1914
- Inclusive dates
- Mortgage deeds -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Slavery -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Slaveholders -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Lancaster County (Va.) -- History
- African Americans -- History
- Lancaster County (Va.)
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Slaves -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Land records -- Virginia | Lancaster County
- Lancaster County (Va.) Deeds, 1656-1914 (bulk 1833-1898) consist of deeds of bargain and sale, deeds of gift, mortgages, and deeds of trust. On presentation to the court, deeds were proved and recorded. If the deed was not witnessed, the grantor acknowledged the deed in open court. A few of the deeds include plats. Except for a few years early in the eighteenth century, slaves in Virginia were considered personal property and consequently were not usually sold by deed. However, they were often transferred in deeds of gift or were the property listed in mortgages and deeds of trust
- Deeds of bargain and sale are the most commonly recorded deed in which one individual sells property, usually land, but occasionally personal property, to another individual. Such deeds show the names of the grantor and grantee, the residence of both parties, a description of what is being sold, the consideration (or price), the location of the tract of land, the tract's boundaries, and any limitations on the property being sold. The deed was signed by the grantor, and possibly his wife or anyone else having a claim to the property, and by at least two witnesses. Appended to the deed may be a memorandum of livery of seisin, stating that the property has changed hands and that peaceful possession has taken place
- Deeds of gift are often found transferring property, either real or personal, from one individual to another "for love and affection." The degree of kinship, if any, between the grantor and grantee is sometimes stated
- Mortgages and deeds of trust were deeds where one party is indebted to another and transfers or mortgages property to a third party to secure the debt
- The collection may include additional record types that were recorded in deed books such as officials' bonds, fiduciary records, marriage records, road and bridge records, and bills of sale of property including slaves
- Biographical or historical data
- Lancaster County was named for the English county. It was formed from Northumberland and York Counties in 1651.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Deed Books and Indices to Deeds for Lancaster County can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
- Additional Lancaster County Land Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Lancaster County (Va.) Deeds, 1656-1914
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lancaster County (Va.) Deeds, 1656-1914
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZZPJgkBsWik/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZZPJgkBsWik/">Lancaster County (Va.) Deeds, 1656-1914</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...