The Resource Records, proposed redesign of Capitol Square, Richmond, Virginia, ca. 1973
- Records, proposed redesign of Capitol Square, Richmond, Virginia, ca. 1973
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1973
- Virginia -- Capital and capitol | Designs and plans
- Architecture -- Virginia | Richmond -- 20th century
- Richmond (Va.) -- Buildings, structures, etc
- City planning -- Virginia | Richmond
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Virginia State Capitol (Richmond, Va.)
- Landscape design. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Oliver, Smith, Cooke & Lindner
- Lindner, Carl Max, Jr.,
- Saunders, Pearson, Appleton & Partners
- Tecton, Inc
- Proposed designs
- This accession includes a report, an audio-visual presentation text, slides, and a rendering related to the proposed redesign of Virginia's Capitol Square in Richmond, circa 1973. The report, entitled "Toward the Year 2000 and Beyond; Facilities for the General Assembly of Virginia: A Report to the Commission on the Legislative Process," was created by the architectural firms Saunders, Pearson, Appleton & Partners; Oliver, Smith, Cooke & Lindner, Architects and Planners; and Techton Incorporated. It includes and evaluation of the Virginia General Assembly's facilities and a recommendation for alterations
- The audio-visual report includes text for a presentation and fifty-four color slides depicting areas around Capitol Square. The slides are numbered to correspond with certain portions of the talk, however, some slides appear to be missing or out of order. This presentation was prepared for public information sessions held by the major parties involved in the proposal
- The rendering shows the perspective of Capitol Square looking northeast and includes view of surrounding buildings, fountains, and monuments. Among the buildings shown are Old City Hall, the former Virginia State Library and Archives, the Federal Courthouse, and the Virginia Supreme Court building. In this design, a concrete plaza surrounds the Capitol on three sides. It is pierced by openings to a lower level and through these trees protrude in two places to the level of what had been the original lawn. On the front edge of the plaza two large skylights provide illumination to office areas below. A wide central stairway gives access to a succession of terraces and sunken courtyards from which trees protrude. At the level of Bank Street two vehicle ramps allow automobiles to enter the parking facilities
- The drawing is signed "Cooke Brackett"
- Biographical or historical data
- In 1973, the Virginia Commission on the Legislative Process issued a recommendation for a $30 million addition to the State Capitol. This was one of a series of plans of expansion of State offices which had also been proposed in 1946 and 1950. This plan was for a stepped series of General Assembly offices, meeting halls, restaurants and parking spaces built in the hill in front of the Capitol. The plan was supported by House Speaker John Warren Cooke and House majority leader James M. Thompson. When released to the public the design was widely denounced by preservationists, garden clubs, and Richmond newspaper editorials. This scheme and other variations of it were dropped and never proceeded beyond the study phase, of which this perspective drawing is an artifact.
- Carl Max Lindner, Jr. (1925- ), son of architect Carl Max Lindner, Sr., graduated with a degree in architecture from Virginia Polytechnic Institute. After working as a draftsman for Merrill C. Lee and Baskervill & Son, he joined his father's firm in 1952. Lindner was a principal in the firm of Oliver, Smith, Cooke & Lindner in 1980.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- LVA accessions 36401 and 36402.
ContextContext of Records, proposed redesign of Capitol Square, Richmond, Virginia, ca. 1973
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Records, proposed redesign of Capitol Square, Richmond, Virginia, ca. 1973
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZaQxWYd8r1c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ZaQxWYd8r1c/">Records, proposed redesign of Capitol Square, Richmond, Virginia, ca. 1973</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...