The Resource Thornburg and Shafer Daybook, 1877-1879
- Thornburg and Shafer Daybook, 1877-1879
- Inclusive dates
- Thornburg and Shafer (Augusta County, Va.)
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Daybooks -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Stables. -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Transportation. -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Business records -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Thornburg and Shafer Daybook, 1877-1879, records the daily activities of the Augusta County livery stable with transactions recorded on a chronological basis as they occurred. The daybook was used primarily to document customer transactions but a few company expenses were also recorded. Information found in each entry include the date, customer name, service purchased, and the monies debited or credited to their accounts. Customers made payments for the hire of saddle horses, wagons, and buggies. Livery fees were also recorded and include payments for board, feed, and shoeing. Company expenses recorded include rent and purchases of feed, coal, and wood
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Thornburg and Shafer was a livery and exchange stable located on New Street in Staunton, Virginia. The partnership originated between Thomas A. Shafer and Samuel T. Thornburg, the managing partner. On 15 July 1878, Levi Shafer purchased Thomas A. Shafer's share in the partnership. At the height of their business, the livery stable owned twenty horses, five carriages, ten buggies, and a number of wagons. The partnership was officially dissolved in 1883 by a decree rendered in the Augusta County chancery court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- For additional information see the Augusta County Chancery Cause, Levi Shafer and Thomas A. Shafer versus S. T. Thornburg. It can be found in the Local Records Collection at the Library of Virginia. The index number is 1883-132.
ContextContext of Thornburg and Shafer Daybook, 1877-1879
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Thornburg and Shafer Daybook, 1877-1879
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_-P6vhh31E8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_-P6vhh31E8/">Thornburg and Shafer Daybook, 1877-1879</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...