The Resource Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club records, 1950-1976
- Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club records, 1950-1976
- Inclusive dates
- Chesapeake (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century
- Membership lists
- Organization records
- Virginia Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs
- Home demonstration work -- Virginia | Chesapeake
- Financial records
- Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club (Chesapeake, Va.)
- Chesapeake Home Demonstration Clubs
- Records, 1950-1976, of the Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club in Chesapeake, Virginia, including certificates, constitutions and by-laws, financial reports, membership lists, minutes, program material, reports, scrapbook, and yearbooks
- Biographical or historical data
- In the summer of 1910, Miss Ella G. Agnew was made "State Agent for Girls' Tomato Clubs," by Dr. Seaman A. Knapp (1831-1911), under the auspices of the General Education Board. Agnew began to work with girls in Halifax and Nottoway Counties who planted tomatoes, cared for them, and preserved their fruit. Thus, the foundation was laid for home demonstration work in Virginia. The tomato clubs eventually became known as canning clubs, and enlisted other members of the family and gradually began to influence other phases of homemaking. In 1914, the Smith-Lever Act was passed by Congress, providing funds for cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics. Home demonstration work made a steady growth in Virginia from 1914 to 1917 in the number of agents employed and counties affected, and also in broadening programs. The Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club was organized "to foster the highest ideas of home life, and to provide members with the opportunity to work with the Home Demonstration Agent and the Extenstion Division of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute in a city-wide program for the development and improvement of home and community life, and affiliation with the Virginia Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs in a state-wide program."
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club records, 1950-1976
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club records, 1950-1976
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_1tqX6xWRiM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_1tqX6xWRiM/">Lake Drummond Home Demonstration Club records, 1950-1976</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...