The Resource 1799-1874
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1799-1874, of William Harvie Richardson (1795-1876) of Richmond, Virginia. Includes mainly accounts and receipts for household goods, newspaper subscriptions, medical services, and tuition fees. There are also promissory notes, fee bills, and a small amount of miscellaneous correspondence
- Biographical or historical data
- William Harvie Richardson was born 18 December 1795 in Richmond, Virginia, to George Parke Richardson and Frances Bacon Whitlock Richardson. He served as a captain in a rifle company during the War of 1812. In 1821, Richardson was elected clerk of the Council of State and served until 1852. He organized and served as the first librarian of the Virginia State Library from 1828 to 1852. Richardson was the first Secretary of the Commonwealth, holding that position from 1832 to 1852. In 1841, he was appointed adjutant-general of Virginia, a position he retained until 1876, except for a brief time following the Civil War. He also served as a member of the Board of Visitors for the Virginia Military institute from 1841 to 1876. He was active in the Virginia Agricultural Society. Richardson married Mary Carter Randolph (1797-1856) 16 December 1816 and they had 2 children. Richardson died 1 September 1876 and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1799-1874
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1799-1874
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_G0ngUdJ4VQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_G0ngUdJ4VQ/">1799-1874</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...