The Resource War Memorial Libraries, : Records, 1920-1921
- War Memorial Libraries, : Records, 1920-1921
- Title remainder
- Inclusive dates
- Contains records of the efforts to establish, in cooperation with the American Legion, a system of War Memorial Libraries throughout the Commonwealth. Included are notes of contacts within localities, and correspondence from the State Librarian, H.R. McIlwaine, and his appointed agent, Branch Johnson, to community leaders
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Library of Virginia. (Search Library of Virginia as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The War Memorial Libraries, a system throughout Virginia to "commemorate the spirit and deeds of her heroic dead in the World War" was proposed by members of the American Legion to a committee established by the General Assembly to investigate a suitable memorial to those who served and perished in World War I. There are few references to this system of libraries that was proposed, although the American Legion continued to petition the General Assembly for action on this project for several years.
- The War Memorial Libraries did not come about, and more effort was spent in establishing a War Memorial Library in Richmond, as the Virginia State Library building at that time was inadequate. For more information about the War Memorial Library in Richmond, please consult the agency history for the War Memorial Commission (1920-1934).
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of War Memorial Libraries, : Records, 1920-1921
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work War Memorial Libraries, : Records, 1920-1921
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_LzQGMYZ-8M/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_LzQGMYZ-8M/">War Memorial Libraries, : Records, 1920-1921</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...