The Resource 1847-1852
- Inclusive dates
- Consumer goods -- Virginia | Richmond County
- General stores. -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Business records -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Journals (accounts) -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Sydnor, Robert B
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Richmond County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Dry-goods -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Daybooks -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Merchants. -- Virginia | Richmond County
- Business records of merchant Robert B. Sydnor consist of two journals and a ledger
- Two journals, 1847-1852, used as daybooks that record daily transactions in chronological order. Information recorded in the journal includes date of transaction, name of customer, items purchased, quantity of items purchased, the price of each item, amount owed and page number where information was transferred to corresponding ledger. Merchandise sold include fish, spices, dry-goods, cigars, alcoholic drinks, candles, tools, and clothing
- Ledger, 1849-1852, records the accounts of individual customers. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found in each entry include date of transaction, form of transaction, amount owed, form of payment, amount paid, and page number where information was transferred from corresponding daybook. Volume does not contain detailed information regarding items sold by merchant. Rather, it uses general terms such as "sundries" and "merchandise." The ledger includes an index that lists the names of customers in alphabetical order and the page number where their accounts are found
- Biographical or historical data
- Richmond County may have been named for Richmond borough in Surrey, England, or for Charles Lennox, first duke of Richmond and a son of King Charles II. It was formed from Old Rappahannock County in 1692. The county seat is Warsaw.
- Some volumes were burned and mutilated through unknown causes; in addition, the will books prior to 1699 were missing as early as 1793, and order books for the period 1794-1816 are also missing. Numerous loose records prior to 1781 are missing as well.
- Robert B. Sydnor was a merchant who owned a general store in Richmond County, Virginia, during the mid-nineteenth century.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Robert B. Sydnor Business Records
- Location of other archival material
- Richmond County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Richmond County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of 1847-1852
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1847-1852
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_QC7XBxDj5A/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_QC7XBxDj5A/">1847-1852</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...