The Resource Henry County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1783-1931
- Henry County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1783-1931
- Inclusive dates
- Henry County (Va.) -- History
- Local government records -- Virginia | Henry County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Henry County
- Henry County (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Debt -- Virginia | Henry County
- Wills -- Virginia | Henry County
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Henry County
- Henry County (Va.)
- Equity. -- Virginia | Henry County
- African Americans -- History
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Henry County
- Plats -- Virginia | Henry County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Henry County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Henry County
- Land records -- Virginia | Henry County
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Henry County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Henry County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Henry County
- Henry County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1783-1931 (bulk 1795-1916), are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court of Henry County. Browse search: Henry County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Henry County was named for Patrick Henry, who was the first governor of the commonwealth of Virginia. It was formed from Pittsylvania County in 1776. The county court first met on 20 January 1777. Part of Patrick County was added later in 1858.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Henry County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of additional Virginia localities.
ContextContext of Henry County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1783-1931
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Henry County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1783-1931
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_lfgq0UdeHc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_lfgq0UdeHc/">Henry County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1783-1931</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...