The Resource Henry Holloway Plantation Ledger, 1796-1810
- Henry Holloway Plantation Ledger, 1796-1810
- Inclusive dates
- Amherst County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Holloway, Robert
- Amherst County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Yancey, Robert
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Plantation owners -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Business records -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Slavery -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Yancey, Betsey
- Local government records -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Holloway, Henry
- Henry Holloway Plantation Ledger, 1796-1810, records the business activities of the Holloway family's plantation and the personal financial activities of Henry Holloway. The ledger records the accounts of individuals, estates, and businesses that Holloway managed or with whom he conducted business. Each account lists transactions in chronological order, and each transaction includes the date, the type of transactions, and monies debited and credited to the accounts
- The accounts connected with the plantation document purchases made for items such as trees, oxen, horses, sugar, and coffee. Several accounts include a listing for the hiring of slaves; although, no detail is provided as to what type of work they performed on the plantation. There are also entries for the plantation overseer that concern his wages and providing him his share of wheat and corn. Holloway also kept records of the quantities of wheat seeded, used by the family, and sold
- The personal financial accounts of Henry Holloway document the individuals and businesses with which Holloway conducted business. Many of the accounts detail Holloway's family expenses and document tuition paid and purchases of clothing and books. There are several account entries that detail the settlement of the estate of Robert Holloway who died around 1802. Holloway also helped to support his sister Betsey Yancey, wife of Robert Yancey. Her account entry includes the following note written by Holloway: "It is impossible for the Writer to say how unhappy he has been made from the imprudence of Capt. Robert Yancey. He has brought a wife & children to want from his drinking as well as gambling. The above articles is given to a sister who is in want of much more, and I wish I had it in my power to give it."
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Henry Holloway was a plantation owner in Amherst County, Virginia. He died on 12 June 1810.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- For additional information see the Augusta County Chancery Cause, Norvell Spencer versus Exr. of Henry Holloway. It can be found at the Augusta County Courthouse. The index number is 1814-085.
ContextContext of Henry Holloway Plantation Ledger, 1796-1810
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Henry Holloway Plantation Ledger, 1796-1810
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_m-KVS6XMCY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_m-KVS6XMCY/">Henry Holloway Plantation Ledger, 1796-1810</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...