The Resource Edward Cunningham & Co. letter book, 1818
- Edward Cunningham & Co. letter book, 1818
- Inclusive dates
- Edward Cunningham & Co. (Richmond, Va.)
- United States -- Commerce -- Great Britain
- Letter books
- Tobacco industry -- Virginia | Richmond
- Cotton manufacture. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Ireland. -- Commerce -- United States
- Letters (correspondence)
- United States. -- Commerce -- Ireland
- Business records -- Virginia | Richmond
- Great Britain -- Commerce | United States. -- United States
- Cunningham, Edward, 1771-1836
- Letter book, covering the period 1 May to 28 September 1818, of the Richmond firm Edward Cunningham & Co., kept by Cunningham while he was in England and Ireland on business. The volume includes daily notations of letters he wrote, indicating the recipient and subject matter. There are also copies of entire texts of letters on topics such as cotton and tobacco shipments, invoices and bills of lading sent, the state of the European and American markets, and other business matters. There are cash and expense accounts at the end of the volume, as well as lists of personal items shipped back to America by Cunningham
- Biographical or historical data
- Edward Cunningham was born on 9 August 1771 in Church Hill, County Dawn, Ireland. He was the son of Richard Cunningham and Elizabeth Hope. He came to Virginia before 1790, and settled first in Petersburg, then moved to Richmond in 1811. Cunningham became a leader in the Richmond milling industry, operating Edward Cunningham and Company, and he was one of the founders of the Tredgar Rolling Mills. He also was a director of the Mutual Assurance Society and the Bank of Virginia, and also a member of the Richmond Common Council. Cunningham married Ariana Gunn McCartney (ca. 1770-1838) in Richmond, Virginia on 18 August 1796. They later resided at his plantation "Howard’s Neck" in Goochland County. Edward Cunningham died in March 1836.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Edward Cunningham & Co. letter book, 1818
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Edward Cunningham & Co. letter book, 1818
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_pPk2L3durg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/_pPk2L3durg/">Edward Cunningham & Co. letter book, 1818</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...