The Resource 1747-1759
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1747-1759, principally concerning James Wood of Frederick County, Virginia. Includes account book, 1747-1757, containing accounts noting the sale of merchandise and sundry items, notes concerning court business, and minutes for an unidentified organization. There is also an affidavit, 14 May 1748, by Lewis Neill claiming that Samuel Littalor killed a wolf; an agreement, 22 January 1757, between Gordon Butler and John Mildrum noting that Mildrum will replace Gordon as minister; and a list, 20 February 1759, written by James Wood and comprised of the names of thirty-three Frederick County residents who applied for damages from the Colony of Virginia. These damages were inflicted by Indians during the French and Indian War. Monetary losses are also listed
- Biographical or historical data
- Colonel James Wood was born in England in 1707. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735 he acquired land near Winchester, Virginia, where he built "Glen Burnie" in 1738. He also married Mary Rutherford in 1738 and together they had five children. He became a colonel in the Frederick County militia and served in the French and Indian War. He died in 1759 and is buried in the family cemetery at Glen Burnie.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals, which are owned by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, are located in Handley Regional Library in Winchester, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1747-1759
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1747-1759
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ajIB5g0YJS8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ajIB5g0YJS8/">1747-1759</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...