The Resource Richard Parker statement, 1777 Apr. 24
- Richard Parker statement, 1777 Apr. 24
- Inclusive dates
- 1777 Apr. 24
- Farm rents. -- Virginia | Fauquier County
- Personal papers
- Landlord and tenant. -- Virginia | Fauquier County
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Money. -- Virginia | Fauquier County
- Rent -- Virginia | Fauquier County
- Paper money -- Virginia
- United States
- Parker, Richard, 1729-1813
- Lee, Richard Henry, 1732-1794
- The Three Black Crows
- Statement, 24 April 1777, of Richard Parker (1729-1813) of Westmoreland County, Virginia, defending Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794) and himself from accusations of plans to depreciate the paper currency issued by Virginia during the Revolution. Parker refutes claims that Lee refused to accept paper money in rent payment for his property in Fauquier County, Virginia, in order to drive down the value of paper money. Parker includes a poem entitled "The Three Black Crows."
- Biographical or historical data
- Richard Parker was born in 1729. He studied law and was admitted to the bar. He settled in Westmoreland County, Virginia, and became a prominent attorney there. On the eve of the American Revolution, Parker was the King's Attorney for Westmoreland County, but sided with the colonists in their dispute with Great Britain. He served on the Westmoreland County Committee of Safety in 1775-1776. Parker represented Westmoreland County in the House of Delegates for the 1778 session. Parker was elected to the Virginia General Court 4 January 1788 and became a judge of the Virginia Court of Appeals in October 1788. He married Elizabeth Beale on 24 December 1751, and they had at least five children. Parker died in Westmoreland County 4 April 1813.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Richard Parker statement, 1777 Apr. 24
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Richard Parker statement, 1777 Apr. 24
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/asLWxMa6G-w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/asLWxMa6G-w/">Richard Parker statement, 1777 Apr. 24</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...