The Resource 1912
- Inclusive dates
- Russell family
- Russell, Isaac William, 1844-1914
- Winchester (Va.) -- History -- 1865-1921
- Stonewall Cemetery (Winchester, Va.)
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Winchester
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Hospitals
- Confederate States of America -- Surgeons
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- Pharmacists -- Virginia | Winchester
- Winchester (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Memoirs, 1912, of Isaac William Russell (1844-1914) of Winchester, Virginia, concerning his service as a member of the medical branch of the Confederate military. It also includes details of his life before and after the Civil War
- Biographical or historical data
- Isaac William Russell was born 16 February 1844 in Winchester, Virginia, to Isaac Russell (d. 1857) and Eliza Ann Baker. He attended the Winchester Academy, then began working with Hartman and Bowly to learn the pharmacy trade. During the Civil War, Russell worked in Confederate hospitals from 1862 until captured after the battle of Winchester 19 September 1864. While a prisoner under the Union army, he started Stonewall Cemetery in Winchester for Confederate dead. He was exchanged in January 1865 and remained with the Confederate medical staff until the surrender at Appomattox. After the war, he returned to Winchester and worked in his brother's general merchandising store. In October 1865, he travelled to St. Joseph, Missouri, to operate a drug store, but only remained there until Spring 1866. He returned to Winchester and operated a store with his brother. Russell married Sallie H. E. Eggleston (d. 1918) 23 November 1871, and they had 3 children. Russell died in Winchester 26 December 1914.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals of this collection, which are owned by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, are located in Handley Regional Library in Winchester, Virginia.
- The Library of Virginia has a duplicate copy of this collection available in paper form as Accession 23987.
ContextContext of 1912
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1912
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/awkDmlwqalU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/awkDmlwqalU/">1912</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...