The Resource Estimate of the brick work for the addition of the Public Jail, undated
- Estimate of the brick work for the addition of the Public Jail, undated
- Inclusive dates
- Contains an estimate of the brick work for the addition to the Public Jail. The estimate provides the number of bricks for the outer wall, partition, chimney, and gable ends
- Biographical or historical data
- An act passed in May 1779 for the removal of the seat of government in Virginia from Williamsburg to Richmond. This act empowered the Directors of Public Buildings to enlarge the jail of Henrico County in the town of Richmond to serve as the public jail. This jail served as the main facility for holding prisoners in Richmond until the construction of the Penitentiary in 1800. William Rose acted as Keeper of the Public Jail between 1781 and 1790. This estimate may have been made in 1787 when an addition to the Public Jail was proposed for the confinement of debtors.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Estimate of the brick work for the addition of the Public Jail, undated
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Estimate of the brick work for the addition of the Public Jail, undated
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/b7a3qCCYB-Y/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/b7a3qCCYB-Y/">Estimate of the brick work for the addition of the Public Jail, undated</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...