The Resource Charles Manly Stedman speech, 1890 May 10
- Charles Manly Stedman speech, 1890 May 10
- Inclusive dates
- 1890 May 10
- Speech, 10 May 1890, by Charles M. Stedman (1841-1930), giving a detailed description of the Battle of Ream's Station, which took place on 25 August 1864 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia. Also included is a transcript of a letter from Confederate General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870) to North Carolina Governor Zebulon Vance (1830-1894), praising the contributions of North Carolina soldiers during the battle. According to a note by James Henry Lane (1833-1907), who made this copy of the speech in 1891, the copy is an excerpt of the full address, which was delivered by Stedman in Wilmington, North Carolina. This collection is located on frames 253-267 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Manly Stedman was born on 29 January 1841 in Pittsboro, North Carolina. He graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1861. In the Civil War, he served as a private in the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry Company, 1st North Carolina Regiment, and then as major of the 44th North Carolina Regiment. He briefly taught school in Chatham County, North Carolina, after the war, then became a lawyer, practicing in Wilmington, North Carolina. He later became involved in politics, serving as lieutenant governor of North Carolina, 1885-1889, and as a United States Representative, from 1911 until his death on 23 September 1930. He is buried in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Charles Manly Stedman speech, 1890 May 10
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles Manly Stedman speech, 1890 May 10
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bE4xHgwfmpc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bE4xHgwfmpc/">Charles Manly Stedman speech, 1890 May 10</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...